
So... today was the day. I called Plano Presby to make sure that things were ready and everyone knew what they were doing. I assumed that after a week of preparing documents, physician phone calls to lab managers and insurance verifications we would be ready to go- WRONG!!! After speaking to 5 different labs (including the Cardiac Catheter lab) I finally got a hold of Ms. Gabby. Ms. Gabby is the same lady who did the daily jaundice tests on Kennedy for about 2 weeks post her delivery. Very sweet lady who affectionatly calls everyone "Baby" (we like her a lot!) Ms. Gabby informed me that our doctor neglected to write a diagnosis on the paperwork therefor we were not exactly ready to go. You would think that by now we would have this part already figured out! A little skeptical that things would run smoothly after my morning phone call fiasco I left my school and headed to daycare to pick up Kennedy. We ventured to Plano Presbyterian Hospital where the long awaited Genetic testing would take place.
This is where we met Sonora, our outpatient paperwork lady. Very sweet lady who just thought Kennedy was the sweetest thing she had ever seen. Sonora is where the title for the post originated... "Alboninism." For the love of God she could not correctly pronounce Kennedy's diagnosis. I counted a total of 12 times that I heard her say "Alboninism." I corrected her 4 times with no luck. While on the phone with our insurance company (yes, they had to call and triple check that too) I hear Sonora say, "Alboninism." I can infer that the insurance lady must have said, "Excuse me, what was that diagnosis again?" For a second time while on the phone Sonora repeats, "Alboninism." I am lead to believe that the insurance person must have realized what Sonora was incorrectly pronouncing and repeated it correctly because I then hear her say, "Yes, that is it." I told myself to just let her say it however she wants... afterall it is not everyday that someone walks into the hospital with this diagnosis.
Now in the lab itself Ms. Gabby and I were discussing this draw of blood about to take place. I explained that importance to me that she sticks once and is successful. I asked her how she was planning on drawing the blood as I could not see a vein anywhere. Calmly she pulls Kennedy's arm straight, puts her index finger down and says, "Here Baby, feel right here." I touched Ken-Ken's arm and there it was. My confidence in Ms. Gabby sky rocketed. She proceeded to tell me (as she prepares Kennedy's arm) that they would be shipping the blood out this afternoon and it would be in Colorado by tomorrow. "Okay Baby, I need you to lay across her chest securing her and pull that little pumpkin head towards you... Ms Gabby will take care of the rest." Kennedy and I stared at the wall both unknowing to when the stick would take place. Within seconds Kennedy let out a shrill and Ms. Gabby said, "Got it." No more than a minute later we had all the blood we needed. I picked Kennedy up, she stopped crying and we were on our way- after hugs from Ms. Gabby of course!!!
In 4-6 weeks we should have the results.
While leaving the hospital a nurse pushing a patient noticed Kennedy. She says to her patient, "Look at that little baby. I have never seen anything like it. Look at that white hair." I used to get so offended by people's comments. Sometimes I would cry and other times I would fly of the handle. Today however, I smiled and kept walking.
This is where we met Sonora, our outpatient paperwork lady. Very sweet lady who just thought Kennedy was the sweetest thing she had ever seen. Sonora is where the title for the post originated... "Alboninism." For the love of God she could not correctly pronounce Kennedy's diagnosis. I counted a total of 12 times that I heard her say "Alboninism." I corrected her 4 times with no luck. While on the phone with our insurance company (yes, they had to call and triple check that too) I hear Sonora say, "Alboninism." I can infer that the insurance lady must have said, "Excuse me, what was that diagnosis again?" For a second time while on the phone Sonora repeats, "Alboninism." I am lead to believe that the insurance person must have realized what Sonora was incorrectly pronouncing and repeated it correctly because I then hear her say, "Yes, that is it." I told myself to just let her say it however she wants... afterall it is not everyday that someone walks into the hospital with this diagnosis.
Now in the lab itself Ms. Gabby and I were discussing this draw of blood about to take place. I explained that importance to me that she sticks once and is successful. I asked her how she was planning on drawing the blood as I could not see a vein anywhere. Calmly she pulls Kennedy's arm straight, puts her index finger down and says, "Here Baby, feel right here." I touched Ken-Ken's arm and there it was. My confidence in Ms. Gabby sky rocketed. She proceeded to tell me (as she prepares Kennedy's arm) that they would be shipping the blood out this afternoon and it would be in Colorado by tomorrow. "Okay Baby, I need you to lay across her chest securing her and pull that little pumpkin head towards you... Ms Gabby will take care of the rest." Kennedy and I stared at the wall both unknowing to when the stick would take place. Within seconds Kennedy let out a shrill and Ms. Gabby said, "Got it." No more than a minute later we had all the blood we needed. I picked Kennedy up, she stopped crying and we were on our way- after hugs from Ms. Gabby of course!!!
In 4-6 weeks we should have the results.
While leaving the hospital a nurse pushing a patient noticed Kennedy. She says to her patient, "Look at that little baby. I have never seen anything like it. Look at that white hair." I used to get so offended by people's comments. Sometimes I would cry and other times I would fly of the handle. Today however, I smiled and kept walking.
"We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy in the world." -
-- Helen Adams Keller

No comments:
Post a Comment